We were founded on April 16, 1936 by a group of educators from the Battle Creek School System as the Battle Creek Teachers Association Credit Union. Our original field of membership was limited to teachers, principals, supervisors and superintendents of the Battle Creek School System. At the end of the first year of operation, there were 79 members, 24 borrowers and assets of $1,861.59.
In 1958, our charter was amended to expand our field of membership to include employees of all public schools in Calhoun County, Bellevue Township and Climax Community Schools; and our name was changed to School Employees Credit Union.
In 1962 the Credit Union achieved the milestone of $1 million in assets; only three years after reaching the half million dollar mark in 1959. In the year 1972, we reached the $5 million mark in assets and our new office on Riverside Drive was completed.
Through the years, our charter was amended several times to include educationally related groups in various geographical areas, as well as educational organizations and retirees.
On December 1, 1999 we changed our name to United Educational Credit Union to better represent our field of membership.
We are now chartered as a community credit union, with membership open to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school within nine counties in lower Michigan, as well as within a 25 mile radius of our branch offices in Albion, Coldwater and Kalamazoo.
Over the years, United Educational Credit Union has also established a niche in servicing members of diverse cultural communities, including the Hispanic/Latino and Burmese communities. We now have over $118 million in assets, serve 14,500 members and have four offices.