** Sources code are open: https://bitbucket.org/duongphuhiep/unittab **
This is a Universal Unit Converter. UnitTab (old name: Smart Unit Converter) is packed with 1200+ units separated into 90+ categories:
- No ads (but require Network Access to get Currency Exchange Rates)
- Easy to select a unit by typing anything related to it ("km", "length", "distant"..)
- Currency Converter with Smart (and configurable) live-update rates.
- Precision level is configurable base on your needs.
- History of recently used units.
- Target filtering.
- Clean interface and Smart behavior.
In order to make a conversion, most of Unit converter Apps requires to select a category, then select a base unit, a target unit.. UnitTab is the only one that filter text to quickly select a unit and simplify the procedure. (The traditional procedure is also supported anyway)
Almost conversion data is built base on ConvertPad - the most popular Unit Converter app on the Android platform.
** About the filtering **
For example: you want to convert from °F to °C. You type "f" to search for °F. You'll find many results (because there are many units which contain "f"). You want to narrow the filter, however you might not know the full name of °F (is Fahrenheit). But you know that °F represents a temperature, so you can search for "f temp" ("f" space "temp").. and bingo!
** About currencies exchanges **
- Most currency converter use two-steps conversions, for example: to convert 500 EUR to JPY, it firstly converts 500 EUR to USD then convert from USD to JPY. So these apps have to store (and update) only the exchange rates data of USD. If they support for 160 currencies, they will store and update only 160 rates numbers each time.
- UnitTab tries to get (and to store offline) the direct exchange rates data EUR-JPY whenever possible in order to make direct-conversion from EUR to JPY. In the reverse case, you want to convert from JPY to EUR, UnitTab will not (even) re-use the previous EUR-JPY rate IF the direct rate JPY-EUR is available. In other words, UnitTab tries to manage 160^2 rates numbers.
- But the 160^2 rates numbers are too much to be available or to be retrieved from the Internet. UnitTab implements a sophisticate calculation policy to make currency conversion as accurate as possible depends on data it needed and data it can retrieve. Basically, It makes direct-conversion whenever possible, otherwise inverse-conversions or two-steps conversions to give you the best approximation.
- You can force UnitTab use two-steps conversions (like others Currency Converter apps) in Settings > "L.U Only Usd Rates" > "Yes". For some currencies, this way might give a more accurate result.
- The exchange rates data of UnitTab comes from TheMoneyConverter.com (for 90 principals currencies) and from Yahoo Finance (for the others). Please let me know if there are more reliable FREE data sources.
- Background Update of Currency Rate is not supported for now. So nothing run behind your back.
** About the interface **
- No fancy icons or images to keep the app package as small as it should be.
- Highlight relevant information.
- UnitTab does not want to change the default Android interface. But a minimal of theming (tweaks) is necessary to keep a professional looking across different Android versions.
** Blog post **
More features will come. Keep your installation up to date. Feedback is welcome. Please mail to me instead of giving an unfavorable rate. Thank you.
- Fix: Allow negative numbers.
- Speed up the calculation (Give a good rate here if you are impressed).
- New: increase [Setting > Input Delay] to decrease the on-fly calculation speed (decrease CPU usage) -> save battery.
- New or Normal users are recommended to select [Explorer > Menu > Enable Commons units]
- Shorten application name: UnitTab
- Chose "L.U Only Usd Rates" (on Settings) will force two-steps conversions.
- Improve: numbers format and precision settings.