Universal Compass is a compass, that can point to any location you want. (It also points north.)
THIS IS A DEMO: You can only create and edit one personal location at a time.
Create new locations you want to point to by either entering the coordinates manually or selecting them on a map. Finally choose an easily recognizable color for each location.
After creating your locations, select which of them you want to display on the compass. Longpress a location in the list to edit/delete it.
The map supports simple search functionality and a "My Location" button in the top right corner. If a location can't be found, try adding city and/or country to the query.
By default, Universal Compass will use your network location to figure out where other locations are in relation to you. When the distance to a location is smaller than the current accuracy allows, Universal Compass will try to get a GPS signal. You can also choose to always have GPS enabled in the settings.
NOTE: Due to the method of calculating the orientation of the device, the displayed compass bearing can be inaccurate while the device experiences acceleration.
- Location: necessary for calculating bearing to other locations
- Vibration: give user feedback when selecting a location on map
This app uses the Google Maps Android API v2, which requires the following permissions:
- Network access: download map tiles from Google Maps servers
- View network connections: check the connection status in order to determine whether data can be downloaded
- Read Google services: allows the API to access Google web-based services
- Write to external storage: cache map tile data in the device's external storage area
- using new method for retrieving compass orientation when available, greatly reduces compass jitter (but needs a couple of seconds to adjust to final bearing)
- increased update rate with new method allows for smoother animation of compass rotation
- bugfix: location updates from network weren't registered correctly
- minor code improvements
- you can now create one personal location in the demo