The application “Vodafone Speaking App” is the first and only available text-to-speech engine for Android that offers correct reading of Greek in SMS, emails, internet, as well as of the telephone numbers in contacts, calls and their history, the dates in the calendar etc., along with full reading of Android’s icons and choices’ abbreviations. Moreover, it offers correct reading of Greek in useful applications, related to media, entertainment, weather, etc.
It works perfectly and smoothly with the stock Android screen reader “TalkBack” and improves it for the Greek language. However “Vodafone Speaking App” can also be used by any other text-to-speech application.
The application aims at users with total loss of vision or with serious eye-sight problems and they should be -old and new- postpaid or prepaid Vodafone Greece customers (free of charge).
The subscribers of other networks can use the application free of charge for one day per card SIM.
Basic application functions
• Includes a text-to-speech engine, in Greek, available to all mobile phones and tablets running Android 2.3 version and newer
• The first and the only available text-to-speech engine for Android that offers correct reading of Greek in SMS, emails, internet etc.
• Offers detailed reading of Android icons abbreviations
• Offers detailed reading of abbreviations for better understanding
• Offers well-pronounced telephone numbers for easier understanding
• Includes one-tap shortcuts for controlling the device’s accessibility features
• Works perfectly and smoothly with the stock Android screen reader application “TalkBack”, while it can be used by any other application that makes use of text-to-speech
• Allows configuration of the speech rate
• Allows dimmable reading
• It responds very fast to user’s gestures, even to devices with limited capabilities and performance
• It is size-limited, occupying a small memory space
The development of “Vodafone Speaking App” was made by e-rhetor, while the testing for application’s proper operation was conducted in cooperation with the Association of Technological Development for the Blind.