Vu+ Player is an Android app designed to allow you to control and stream from your Vu+ satellite receivers, either from the same network as the receiver, or from a remote location. Although designed for the Vu+ range of receivers, it should work with any satellite receiver compatible with Enigma2 such as Dreambox, Xtrend and others.
There are three main purposes for this app:
1) As a substitute remote control while viewing your TV. If you do not like equipment on display, your receiver can be placed out of sight (and IR remote range) and this app used to control it. You can change channels, look up EPG-information, set timers, send messages, use its virtual Remote Control etc.
2) A means of watching your satellite receiver on a portable Android-device at home. If you have a receiver with two or more tuners, then you can even stream an alternative channel and watch a different channel to the one displayed on the connected TV. On selected receivers, such as Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ Duo2 and Vu+ SoloSE, you can enable the transcoding function. This will enable streaming on an alternate port with the ability to watch HD channels with reduced bit rate.
3) A remote viewer. If you have a very good upload speed from home and download speed from your current location, you can watch the stream from your satellite receiver remotely. The app can work from anywhere in the world where you can get a good WiFi/Mobile connection. All you need is a dynamic DNS address at home, e.g. DynDNS and forward ports on your router. Possible scenarios are airport lounges, hotels, etc. Receivers supporting transcoding, such as Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ Duo2 and Vu+ SoloSE can enable this function and take advantage of this since lower upload speed is required in this mode.
- Internal video-player with OSD (On Screen Display). No need to download and install external video-player although many others are supported.
- Multiple connection profiles. All receivers on your network can be added
- Browse the EPG and individual channels
- Manage timers (add, edit, delete) either from EPG or manually. This can be done even when away from home
- Search EPG
- Grab screenshots from live TV
- Manage recordings
- Send on-screen messages
- Satellite signal strength meter for dish alignment and adjustment. Now also with screenshots from live TV!
- Integrated help
- Transcoding support. You can set bitrates and framerates independently from what has been set up in the transcoding-plugin on the STB. You can set your preferred rates in Advanced Settings (for LAN and WAN respectively) or change them on the fly using the Internal Player. Dedicated transcoding buttons throughout the app!
- Https (SSL)-protocol support
- Support for Streaming Authentication
- IP Autodetection. In 98% of all cases you only need one profile (handled by IP Autodetection) since Vu+ Player is able to determine if you are either in LAN or in WAN (remote) and adjust necessary connection and streaming settings automatically. You can also disable IP Autodetection and set up two separate profiles, for instance one profile for LAN and another one for WAN (remote), if you so prefer.
Please note that in case of streaming problems, the majority of the problems are not related to Vu+ Player but more likely they are due to (temporary) problems with your network, receiver and/or your Android-device. Network-problems can be difficult to track down and resolve but many times they are temporary so please try again. Streaming HD content without transcoding may be difficult due to bandwidth-issues and/or processing power of some Android devices. If your problems are persistent, please use the support-area for which a link is available within the app instead of giving bad ratings.
In view of the many changes taken place in the past months, make sure to use the latest E2-images available for your receiver(s)!
If you like Vu+ Player, please rate it!
Change-log (May 27, 2014)
-better transcoding support. You can set bitrates and framerates independently from what has been set up in the transcoding-plugin
-added dedicated Transcoding-buttons
-use IP Autodetection or separate profiles for LAN/WAN usage
-Https (SSL)-protocol support
-support for Streaming Authentication
-new settings screen
-fixed some incompatibly issues with recent Android OS-versions
-other things (see Read Me file when opening the app)