This app provides you with valuable information about events taking place in the City of Westminster. It offers the following features:
- Maps with points of interest displaying solely information that is currently relevant. Temporary regions of interest like routes of road events are only displayed on the day of those events.
- Event calendar: get detailed information about everything going on in the City of Westminster.
- Location Based Services: get up to date information on the area you're currently at (e.g. warnings about severe congestions, etc.)
- Access to TfL's mobile travel services
- A news stream aggregating information from various Twitter feeds
- Messaging service: receive important messages from the Westminster City Council via three separate channels (general information, traffic advice, emergency information) making sure you have safe and enjoyable days during all events.
Neither the Location Based Information nor the Messaging channels are used to send out advertisements. These features are there strictly for your convenience.
This app is part of a research project called Socionical, funded by the European Union. For more information about the project and its top level academic participants, please visit www.socionical.eu.
One of the research objectives of Socionical is to study crowd dynamics, and specifically the density, direction and movement of crowds following a major disaster. Since we cannot set up a disaster to test the app, we are testing it with your help during events with a high citizen participation. The app will record sensor data while you are at certain large scale events and send it to a central server that can only be accessed by the researchers. The data is sent out anonymously, so that it is absolutely impossible to deduce your identity from the recorded data. Also, the app only records data on the days of the events and only while you are at the event location. You can use the app to check the data recording zone, the data recording schedule and the sensor activity.
If there is a problem with congestion, or an emergency situation, then the researchers will inform the organisers of the event (and if necessary the emergency services) and you will receive advice on, for example alternative routes. It is important that you do leave the app running so that you can be contacted if necessary. You will not be contacted on a personal basis, but because you happen to be in a particular location.
Socionical respects your privacy and conforms to all ethical rules set by the European Union. Furthermore, the collection of the data has the seal of approval from the Socionical Ethics Committee.
Please support this promising research project, which is designed to save lives in a real emergency, by using the app. By downloading the app, you are giving your permission for data to be sent to the researchers.