This application will help your family or friends locate you, even when you are unable to answer the phone.
Some outdoor sports make it hard to take care of answering calls or messages. While you are busy with your favourite sport, your friends may be concerned and wonder where are you, or simply might want to adjust their plans to meet you at some point. With this application you can allow them to get your geographic location by sending a text message. Primarily XCRetrieve was created with paragliding and hang gliding in mind, but should be perfect for most outdoor activities. This is how it works:
1. Install the app and go through a very short configuration wizard
2. Share the assigned code with your friends
3. Once you receive an SMS message starting with the code, your phone will attempt to get 2 GPS fixes with your coordinates and will send a response SMS message containing your last position, altitude, speed, direction and a movement index value*.
4. The response text message is human readable. It doesn't need any utilities or services to decode, but if it is received by a device which also has XCRetrieve installed, a screen with information details and your position marked on a Google Maps will be displayed.
XCRetrieve shares some concepts of "Where is my phone" apps or spying apps, but differs by a few features:
- No text messages are ever deleted, this is not a spying app, you can always check who has requested your location, also no information apart from your location and accelerometer readings are shared.
- It can be used without internet connection and relies on SMS messages, as these are most reliable in areas with weak mobile network.
- It does send your altitude, which can make a big difference for aviation sports.
- Speed and direction is calculated based on 2 points fetched in a 60 second interval.
- *A movement index value is sent (ranging 0-6) based on your accelerometer readings. This allows some rough estimation of what is happening with the phone and the user.
Google Maps embeded inside this app will not work offline (even if you have downloaded a map for offline use). This is why OpenStreetMaps have been also included in this app. They will display cached map areas when offline.
You can see a sample SMS request and response on the last screenshot.
- Stability improvements, fixed possible crashes upon receiving tracking message.
- Open Street Maps source updated to a working service.
- Fixed location format issue related to locale separator (, vs . in minute and seconds formats).
- Fixed locale related decimal separator issues
- Fixed possible crashing upon receiving SMS