The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps to plan outdoor photography shoots.
TPE is a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, be it day or night, for almost anywhere on earth. Our Android app provides all the basic functionality you need to plan sun and moon photography.
Ideal for landscape, nature, travel and outdoor photographers, TPE's map-based approach means you can search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
Advanced features include: automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon. You can even determine when the sun or moon will be visible from behind nearby hills and mountains.
Five map types are offered, including two topographic maps, ideal for landscape and nature photographers. Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map Topographic offer automatic offline support: any tiles you view are automatically cached for offline use.
- Time and direction of sunrise and sunset
- Time and direction of moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a map (Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain, Open Street Map, Open Cycle Map Topographic)
- Rotate and tilt the map for the optimal view
- Compass-based auto-rotation of the map
- Movable map pins - drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Search for locations by address, place name, or enter coordinates directly
- Save any location you want - no fixed lists
- All features available in both portrait and landscape mode
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Import and export locations to/from KML
- Offline use with Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map Topographic maps
- Light pollution map overlay
- Reverse geocoding of coordinates
- Support for what3words three word address (more at https://ephemer.is/what3words)
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- This app has a limited feature set relative to its iOS equivalent: please review this listing carefully to ensure that the features you need are included prior to purchasing
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection to function (execpt for Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map Topographic, which are cached to your device automatically)
- Locations outside ±80° latitude (very far north and south) are unsupported
- Map auto-rotate requires a compatible device (with magnetometer and accelerometer)
- Requires that you have Google Play Services and Google Maps installed on your device. Most devices already have both installed. TPE will prompt you to install these if they are missing.
End user license agreement: http://photoephemeris.com/android-eula
Please visit http://photoephemeris.com/support#android_support if you have any trouble installing Google Play Services.
TPE for desktop has been a favorite of photographers around the world for years. Now you can carry it with you.
- what3words: we now support what3words addresses - more below. what3words provides a unique three word address for any location on earth. Find out more at what3words.com
- Reverse geocoding: if you type a lat/lon coordinate into the search field, TPE now looks up nearby corresponding address and places
- Fixed: KML import
Please send your feedback and comments to [email protected]