BBC Media Player works with BBC websites and applications to provide video and audio playback on your Android device.
Once you have downloaded this application, continue to use your favourite BBC websites and apps on your Android device as normal. Whenever you play any video or audio the BBC Media Player will launch and handle playback of the content.
You may notice that when you install the app it asks you for permission to access your phone's network communication, phone calls, and system tools.
These are standard Android app permissions that are defined by the Google Android platform. The 3 permissions the BBC Media Player app asks to use are:
• Network Communication - full internet access.
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with access to the internet so it can play programmes.
• System tools - preventing phone from sleeping, retrieve running applications.
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with the ability to prevent the phone going to sleep when you are watching a programme.
• Phone Calls - read phone state and identity (Android Honeycomb and below only).
Granting this permission provides the BBC Media Player app with phone communication status and notifies the application if the phone rings or a phone call is in progress. We only use this permission to ensure that the BBC Media Player pauses if you receive a phone call and temporarily reduces its audio when you receive a text message or other notification while watching a programme. The BBC Media Player app does not access or store any personal information, phone numbers or IMEI numbers.
In this update:
- We no longer require the Phone Calls permission
- Improved handling of cross-device pause and resume in BBC iPlayer
- Fixed an issue with the Sony Xperia Z3+ where video was not decoded properly
- Other bug fixes and stability improvements
Users of Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note 4 devices who are unable to stream programmes after the update to Android Lollipop should upgrade to v5.1.1 - we believe this fixes the issue. If the update is not available, contact your network provider.