● Google Play Game Services -- Play online in real-time, chat, invite friends, auto-match with random players
Play & learn backgammon at skill levels ranging from beginner to world-class! This app is designed for both Android phones & tablets.
Backgammon NJ for Android is a full-featured game which uses an advanced, neural network-based, artificial intelligence. Play against a computer AI, against another person in 2-player mode on one device, or online against friends & others. Using Tutor Mode & Hints, Backgammon NJ for Android can show you how to improve your game!
Discriminating players will appreciate how well the AI plays. It uses a neural network trained on millions of positions, a bearoff database, & a match equity table to achieve strong gameplay that will challenge even expert players.
(Reviews for iOS version)
"[I] know strong bg play when I see it. This app is the strongest iPhone bg app I've played with by far. It does not cheat period. ...Analyzing these matches with eXtreme Gammon confirms a world class level of play with normal luck factors. If you are losing, get over it. So would 99.9% of the other backgammon players in the world. It is just that good. Learn from it." -Richard Munitz, Giant of Backgammon, #21 world ranking in 2009
"Backgammon NJ plays at an extremely high level with an excellent interface, and I often use it to practice on my iPhone when I am traveling. I recommend it highly to my students and friends." -Phil Simborg, Professional Backgammon Teacher and Player, www.mindgamescenter.com
"I've played over 500 games now; I've checked about 5% of these against World Class Desktop programs (GNU, BGBlitz); and I've actually used some of the competition. NJ has the best interface and has more useful functions than any other backgammon apps out there."
"As someone who has played a lot online (FIBS, Gamesgrid, and others) and live, playing this app (on its hardest setting) is like playing a master player or like playing GNU."
IS THIS GAME RIGHT FOR YOU?
This game is best for people:
• Who recognize the strength of neural network backgammon bots
• Who want to improve their game by playing against a world-class level AI
• Who are willing to use in-depth, technical features included in the game to prove that it is honest (http://www.njsoftware.com/note.html)
• Who won't expect to win consistently on the higher skill levels
• Neural network-based AI
• 2 game types: Standard or Nackgammon
• 4 skill levels: Easy, Medium, Hard, Expert
• Mersenne Twister algorithm for random number generation
• Doubling cube
• Single games or match play up to 25 pts
• Crawford rule for match play
• 1-player mode vs. computer
• 2-player mode on one device
• Google Play Game Services: Play real-time online matches with friends & other players
• Chat with your online opponent
• Online Elo leaderboard
• Block list for auto-match
• User-friendly, tap-to-move interface
• Highlighted checker movement options
• Hint & Undo
• Learn with Status Meter & Tutor Mode
• Game & dice stats, including Elo rating & ER
• Match info: GnuBG ID, win chances, equity, top 10 moves, & cube decisions
• Email match files
• Manual match recording mode with unlimited undo & speed mode option
• Options to reverse board direction, resign, use one-tap moves, auto bearoff, auto finish, use Jacoby rule, & much more
• Optimized for resolutions up to 2560 x 1600
• Match analysis (in-app purchase): Analyze past match files, view moves & errors for match, step through match, jump to position, play from position, save match files permanently
If you're having issues:
• Make sure a task killer isn't killing BGNJ processes.
• Exit other apps fully to free memory.
• Run BGNJ from main memory, not from memory card.
• We can't respond to crash reports submitted through Android OS. Contact us directly: http://contact.njsoftware.com
- Auto-Roll & Auto-End Turn options
- Real-time match: option to End Match if opponent hasn't moved in 90 seconds. Partial Elo calculated, not an Abort.
- Analysis package (in-app purchase). Select Menu > Store.
- Match files list shows player names
- Swipe Left on Status Meter option
- Bug fix
Note: To play online, you must update to v3.1. This version transitions to Google Play Game Services Saved Games, which uses Google Drive & replaces an old service that Google is discontinuing.