Mau Mau is probably the most popular and most classic card game for two to five players. It is ideal for a short diversion in between or a longer game. The rules are simple and easy to remember.
Goal of the game
The aim of the game is to get rid of all cards in your hand at first. Collect a lot of points by having the other people have the largest possible number of cards in their hand s when the last card is played.
The game is played with Skat cards. At the beginning each player gets five cards. The remaining cards are placed face down in a stack in the middle. The first card is placed next to it uncovered. The game is played clockwise. The player who starts has three options:
• The player plays the same suit. Example: clubs on clubs (The value of the card does not matter)
• The player places the same value in a different suit. Example: A king on a king (The suit of the card does not matter)
• The player places a jack, no matter what suit or value.
If a player can`t lay a matching card, he takes a card from the draw pile. Then it`s the next players turn.
• If a 7 is played, the next player must pick up two cards. Unless he can put one more 7. Then the next player has to take 4 cards (2 + 2). Unless he can put one more….
• An ace can be played only on the same suit. Example: A spade ace on a spade 8. The following player misses a turn. The spade is the suit to be played.
• Can be laid on any other card (except another jack) and a suit can be nominated.
The end of the game
The round ends as soon as a player lays his/her last card. The point values of each players’ remaining cards are totalled up to give a ‘negative points’ sum.
- In game improvements